Friday 20 July 2012

Public School Interaction

July 13, 2012 our batch had a chance to interact with the Public School Students of San Isidro National High School in Antipolo. I didn't feel any excitement before the event since I don't know what to expect. Although our teacher sort of told us about how their school would look like and their classrooms. She even told us that in one classroom there will be 60 public school students + 14 Assumption Students. So that's really a lot. Maybe that's why I didn't feel any excitement rather, I felt scared.

When we reached our destination, I initially looked at their surroundings. Their school isn't that congested in fact there were a lot of trees. They had few buildings which made it feel fresh. Next thing to do is to line up and wait for our partners to come to us since they know our names. We had a ratio of 2 AA student : 1 San Isidro student. We had time to get to know each other and even played games.

The next activity is the exciting one. We had a chance to sit-in with them. The class that we entered didn't have a teacher inside but there were a lot of gay students. They entertained us and we showed our talents. Since I sat in the middle (and the only one there) the gay student called my attention and asked what my talent/s is/are. I said that I love playing football. But then my partner told him that I knew how to play the guitar so he asked me to play a song. What's nice about this student is he's a directioner. Good thing I know a One Direction song. He was so happy! :)

Since I had friends from the other section, they shared their experiences which is quite sad and very shocking. They said that during their sit-in the teacher bragged about our school saying "Ang mamahal ng tuition niyan! Lahat ng classroom nila may aircon!" (which is not true - we have trees) "Teachers nila 23,000 ang sweldo!" My friends had an initial reaction that we came there not to compare but to interact. The teacher were degrading her students. Another friend of mine received a letter from her partner and the highlight is "Thank you for the experience especially with the people like us..." We were all shocked since there are no difference between us and them. It's just the status in life and school but we all have an equal dignity to keep and take care.

Our teacher shared what she heard from our other batch mates. She even told us that she can't help but eve's drop since the topic was so interesting. The conversation went like this:
Student 1: Alam mo ba, yung teacher sa class namin nag tanong siya kung anong pinag kaiba ng aso sa tao. Tapos may taga San Isidro na nag sabi na ang aso, hindi nag-iisip pero ang tao oo. Sumagot yung teacher. Sabi, edi aso ka pala. 
It's just sad how their teachers treat them. It made me think that I should still be thankful for my teachers since they bring out the best in us.

Here are some pictures from the event:

With Pam (left) and Princess (right - my partner)

During the paraliturgy. 
The one with blue shirt is a translator for their students that are deaf.

While playing games! :D

Dance performances from the San Isidro Students!

Performance from the AA Students! 

(Photos from Ayn Ledina)


No comments:

Post a Comment